What is the Logistics Behind Wide Load heavy Hauler Services?
We are a Wide Load Heavy Hauler Company in the US with offices nationwide and overseas.
Different Shipping Trailer Types:
- Dry Van
- Lowboy Trailers
It is important to note that each type of trailer is not similar to the other types and that the dimension and weight capacity of each area based on the corresponding trucking specifications of a particular semi-tractor and trailer used. For each type of trailer, their corresponding weight and dimension capacity are also listed and the figures are listed approximately. Thus, the numbers or figures that you will see on the list can be used as an estimated guideline for freight and load planning. More importantly, these figures should not be used as your basis in making loading calculations that require accuracy and precision.
Each Flat Bed trucking is different from the other types so the information that you will be seeing here should be used and treated as your general guideline. Typically, most of the platform trailers mentioned here are capable of handling freights that may even exceed the dimensions and weights for a required permit in a particular state and even premium charges that are needed to be obtained prior to your specific type of shipment.
Flat Bed Trailers:
Flatbed trailers are extremely popular and are widely used because they exude a great sense of versatility. Generally, a flatbed is used to load freights on its tip, sides, and rear. With these capabilities, flatbeds have truly become the primary and leading assets of the trucking industry.
This kind of trailer has the capability to carry a maximum legal freight dimension and weight which are as follows:
- Flatbed Trailers Maximum freight weight of 48,000 pounds.
- Flatbed Trailers Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Flatbed Trailer Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
- Maximum Flatbed Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Legal Freight Height- 8.5 ft
Dry Van and Enclosed Trailers
Dry Van trailer is displayed in the image displaying that it’s a closed trailer carrying objects that are weather-affected. Dry Van trailers are generally enclosed and are commonly used to carry and protect the freights from the harmful elements of the weather or the roads. Freights can be loaded on the rear and are commonly loaded using a loading dock.
It is similar to a curtain van and it can be loaded from its side too. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Dry Van Maximum freight weight is 42,000 lbs to 45,000 lbs.
- Dry Van Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Dry Vans Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
- Maximum Dry Vans Width- 8.2 ft
- Maximum Dry Vans Height- 8 ft
Refrigerated Trailers and Reefers:
A temperature-controlled type of trailer is displayed in the image that carries very sensitive objectsRefrigerated trailer is a temperature-controlled type of trailer. It is generally used for transporting chilled or frozen products. The temperature inside this trailer can be controlled whatever the outside weather is.
Freight Rate Central has the refrigerated trailer you need, regardless of the size of your load or the type of cargo you need to be shipped. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Refrigerated Trailers Max freight weight is 42,000 to 45,000 lbs.
- Refrigerated Trailers Maximum freight dimension:
- Maximum Refrigerated Trailers Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
- Maximum Refrigerated Trailers Width- 8.2 ft
- Maximum Refrigerated Trailers Height- 8 ft
Flatbed truck standing in a parking area of the warehouse A Lowboy Trailer is an unpowered trailer that is commonly used to haul freight. These kinds of trailers are generally designed to carry and transport taller goods and items. This means that the items to be carried to a Lowboy Trailer are taller than the legal height of items that are commonly carried by flatbeds. Our expert advisors will indicate if you need state permits for your particular load or type of freight.
Basically, a lowboy that has two axles can haul around 40,000 pounds. The maximum weight and dimensions are as follows:
Lowboys Maximum weight is 40,000 pounds for a 2-axle Lowboy Trailer; additional weight of up to 80,000 pounds depending on the number of axles used (weight of the trailer and weight of the load added together).
Lowboys Maximum Dimensions:
- Maximum Lowboy Well Length- 24 ft – 29.6 ft
- Maximum Lowboy Well Height- 18 in – 24 in
- Maximum Legal Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Legal Freight Height- 11.5 ft – 12 ft
- Maximum Legal Overall Load Height- 14 ft
Step Deck Trailers – Single Drop Trailers:
F.Y.I. and extra info on these types of setups:
Most Step decks do not come with loading ramps we need to specify if it is a dock to dock transit with the customer or business prior to pricing and sending out the contract and driver, this way the client can handle loading and offloading dock to dock therefore our driver will not be required to have loading ramps to load the freight. (regular step-deck without loading ramps) Now if loading ramps are required to get the unit “deck loaded” we need to specify this in the order for 2 reasons:#1 so dispatch can list it correctly & #2 so the proper carrier accepts the load with the proper equipment to get the unit safely loaded.
Step deck Trailer – Step Deck Flatbed TrailerStep Deck
Stepdeck Trailers are otherwise known as drop deck types and they are in fact a version of the flatbed trailer design that mainly consists of a bottom and top deck. These trailers are specifically designed to carry and haul freights that cannot be carried or transported on a standard type of flatbed, which is usually due to height restrictions.
The maximum legal dimensions and weight for a Stepdeck – Step Deck Trailers are as follows:
- Step decks Maximum freight weight is 48,000 pounds.
- Step decks Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Stepdeck Trailer Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
- Maximum Stepdeck Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Legal Freight Height- 10 ft
Extendable Flatbed Stretch Trailers
Full Truckload of wood being hauled by a Flatbed Stretch TrailerThese are extendable flatbeds and are otherwise known as flatbed stretch types. They are mainly used for carrying loads or freights that are excessively long and cannot be carried by a standard type of trailer. It is also a type of trailer that provides maximum support, avoiding the possibility of overhanging freight.
The maximum legal dimensions and weight for a Flatbed Stretch Trailer are as follows:
- Extendable Flatbeds Maximum freight weight of 43,000 pounds.
- Extendable Flatbeds Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Extendable Flatbed Trailer Length- 48 ft – 80 ft
- Maximum Extendable Flatbed Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Extendable Flatbed Legal Freight Height- 8.5 ft
Stretch Single Drop Deck Trailer
Stretch single drop deck has been displayed showing its capability to load certain dimensions freightStretch Single Dropdeck Trailers are specifically designed to carry and haul freights that are very long for a standard or traditional step-deck due to length restrictions.
It also provides support thus, preventing overhang. Legal weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Stretch Single Drops Max freight weight is 45,000 lbs.
- Stretch Single Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
- Max Stretch Single Drop Trailer Length- Main Deck 35 ft – 63 ft
- Max Stretch Single Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Max Stretch Single Drop Legal Freight Height- 10 ft
Stretch Double Drop Trailers
A stretch double drop deck has been displayed showing its capability to load certain dimensions of freight Stretch Double-Drop Trailer is generally used for carrying oversized shipments. Its lower deck allows you to load products that can be as tall as 10 feet. It also comes with a so-called “well,” a longer piece at the trailer’s back deck and a middle portion.
The well usually measures from 25 feet to 29 feet. Legal weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Stretch Double Drops Max freight weight is 45,000 pounds.
- Stretch Double Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
- Max Stretch Double Drop Trailer Length- Main Deck 29 ft – 65 ft
- Max Stretch Double Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Max Stretch Double Drop Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
Extendable Double Drop Trailers
Any unit exceeding 30 feet in the “well” or of overall “deck space” will need to get loaded onto an extendable trailer which in some case’s (rgn or double drop) can cost the customer an extra $1.00 a mile to $1.50 a mile depending on the size of the unit/weight + the regular full load cent per mile which is normally between $2.50 a mile to $3.00 a mile or the unit will not move.
PLEASE REFER TO THE INFO I WROTE FOR ANY OF THE EXTENDABLE UNITS WEIGHING OVER40,000lbs needing to go on a trailer that has the proper axle’s that can handle the weight such as Rgn, double drop, beam and even some land Flatbeds.
Extendable Double Drop in red color is displayed in the image showing its capability to load certain dimensions freightThe Extendable Double Drop Trailer is commonly used to carry and haul freights that come with excessive length and can never be carried by a standard double drop trailer.
Depending on the fright’s weight, this trailer can either have 2 or 3 axles. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Extendable Double Drops Max freight weight is 40,000 lbs.
- Extendable Double Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
- Max Extendable Double Drop Trailer Length- 29 ft – 50 ft
- Max Extendable Double Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Max Extendable Double Drop Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers
RGN – Removable Gooseneck Trailer or A RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are excellent for carrying tall and long freights. It comes with a detachable front, allowing the trailer to be dropped on the ground in order to create a ramp. It is capable of hauling and carrying freights weighing up to 150,000 pounds. It can go from 3 axles up to 20 plus axles for heavier shipments. RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are more specialized so they render a more expensive usage.
Legal weight and dimensions of an RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are as follows:
- RGN’s Maximum freight weight is 42,000 pounds.
- Removable Gooseneck – RGN Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Well Length- Main Deck 29 ft
- Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Well Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
Stretch RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers
Stretch RGN trailer that is designed to carry and haul freights Stretch RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailer is designed to carry and haul freights that are too long to be carried by a standard type of RGN. Depending on the weight of the freight, axles may range from 3 axles or higher.
This means that the heavier the load is the more axles are to be used. Legal weight and dimensions are:
Stretch RGN or Removable Goosenecks Maximum freight weight is 42,000 pounds to 150,000 pounds or more. EASY BREAKDOWN 10k per axle guys SIMPLE!
Stretch RGN Maximum freight dimensions:
- Max Stretch RGN Length in Well- Main Deck 29 ft to 65 ft
- Max Stretch RGN Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Max Stretch RGN Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft