Ship car to Hawaii with confidence
Do you plan to move to Hawaii soon and need to ship your car? Or maybe you need to get your vehicle back home after taking a vacation in the islands.
From choosing the right shipping company to estimating shipping costs to ensuring your car arrives at its destination safely, we cover it all. Whether you’re a first-time shipper or you need a refresher on how to figure out the best way to do it, here are all the details you need to know to make the process as seamless as possible.
How Does Hawaii Car Shipping Work?
Car shipping Hawaii transport isn’t that different from shipping to other states. You won’t have to worry about anything since the auto shipping company you select will handle all the logistics.
However, shipping a car to Hawaii is unusual in two ways. First, it takes a long time. Second, it’s expensive. So, begin as soon as possible. Starting early will allow your vehicle to arrive faster–and you’ll also save more money.
What can you expect when shipping your car to Hawaii?
Here’s a quick overview of how Hawaii car shipping works.
- First, choose a car shipping company that offers the services you need at a price you can afford.
- Next, schedule a time for your car to be picked up and delivered.
- After that, you’ll need to prepare your car for shipment. For example, make sure that there’s nothing loose in your car’s trunk or its interior. Also, add some gas to the tank. Don’t fill it up. It just needs to be half full before shipping.
- Finally, once your car is loaded onto the carrier, it will be transported to HI. There it will be unloaded and delivered to you.
Ship a car to Hawaii usually takes about two weeks, though it may take longer during peak shipping times or if there are any delays.
Incidentally, if you’re shipping a car from Hawaii to the continental United States, it’s a similar process.
Now let’s examine each step of shipping your car in more detail:
Pick the Right Hawaii Car Shipping Company
Choose a car shipping company that has experience shipping a car to Hawaii or shipping car from Hawaii to mainland.
You’ll also want to be sure they’re reputable and dependable–as well as offer the services you need.
Ask a friend or family member who has shipped a car to recommend a company they liked. If you don’t know anyone, then search online for companies.
Schedule Pick-Up and Delivery
After you’ve selected a car shipping transport company, schedule a pickup and delivery date for your car. Most car shipping transport companies will give you a few days or weeks to choose from, so pick a date and time that fits your schedule.
Prepare Your Car for Shipping a Car to Hawaii or Shipping Car from HI to Mainland
You must prepare your car for shipping before it can be loaded onto the car shipping Hawaii carrier. Make sure nothing is loose in the trunk or interior, the gas tank is half full, and you remove any personal items because they may be damaged or lost during shipping.
Be as meticulous as you can with preparing your car. Since this is such an important aspect of shipping your car, we will go over a 9-step checklist to follow a little later.
Once your car is ready, the car shipping company will load it onto a carrier and transport it to Hawaii.
The Unloading and Delivery Process
Your vehicle will be delivered to you once it arrives in Hawaii. The entire process usually takes two weeks, but it may take longer during peak shipping times or in the event of any delays. Shipping companies usually quote eight to nineteen days for delivery.
We will now cover three of the most important things you should know when shipping your car: how to choose a reputable shipping company, what to expect when it comes to cost and shipping, and how to prepare your car for shipping.
How to Choose a Car Shipping Company?
Find a reputable car shipping company that offers the service you want at a fair price who knows all about the issues involved in shipping a car to Hawaii or shipping car from Hawaii to mainland.
You can get recommendations from friends or family who’ve shipped cars before, or you can research companies online.
When searching for a transport company experienced in shipping a car to Hawaii or shipping car from Hawaii to mainland, keep the following criteria in mind:
- Verify that the company is registered with the Better Business Bureau. This will give you an idea of their reputation and reliability.
- Only use a company that’s bonded and insured. This will protect you if anything goes wrong during shipping.
- Select a company that fits your budget and needs. You’ll need an expedited shipping company if you want your car delivered quickly.
- Find an experienced company. The more experience a company has, the better equipped they’ll be to handle any shipping problems.
- Check payment options. Some companies require a deposit, while others allow you to pay the full amount upon arrival.
- Don’t do business with companies that offer too-good-to-be-true deals. If a company offers rock-bottom prices, they’re probably cutting corners somewhere. Find a company that’s upfront about its prices and services.
These tips will help you find a car shipping company you can trust to get your car to Hawaii safely. Car shipping doesn’t have to be stressful if you do your research and pick a reputable company. After you’ve carefully selected the best company you can find, sit back and relax, your car will soon be on its way to a tropical paradise!
How Much and How Long When Shipping Car to Hawaii?
Even though shipping a car across the continental US is similar to shipping one to Hawaii, transporting a vehicle within the continental USA is cheaper and faster. It all comes down to costs, companies, transportation times, and pickups.
Car shipping to Hawaii costs about $1,000 more than shipping one within the continental U.S. This is because you’re paying for two services: first, you’re paying for ground transport to a West Coast port; and second, you’re covering the cost of overseas shipping.
Mainland shipping costs about $1,100. Your vehicle’s size and your destination city will affect the price. Meanwhile shipping overseas generally costs around $2,100. Overall, it’s about $3,200. However, there may be other expenses. For instance, you may have broker fees.
Shipping a car to HI also takes longer than shipping within the continental United States. It usually takes from eight to nineteen days, but it can take longer during peak shipping times or if there are delays at the ports.
When shipping a car to Hawaii or shipping car from Hawaii to mainland, select a reputable shipping company and schedule your pick-up and delivery dates ahead of time. If you prepare well, you’ll be driving your car to Hawaii in almost no time.
How to Prepare Your Car for Auto Transport When Transporting a Car to Hawaii or Shipping Car From Hawaii to Mainland
After you’ve selected a shipping company, you’ll need to schedule a time for your car to be picked up and delivered. Choose a date that works for you within the company’s window of time, which could be days or weeks.
Keep in mind, you’ll have to prepare your car before it can be loaded on the carrier. The more meticulous you are about this task, the easier you’ll make it for the car shipping company to keep their promise to deliver your car on time without damage.
Here is a 9-step checklist to help you prepare shipping a car to Hawaii or to the mainland.
- Collect all the necessary documents for your vehicle. Register, show proof of insurance and complete any other paperwork needed in HI.
- Give your car a good wash and clean the interior. This will make it easier to notice any damage. Besides, it will be nice to drive a clean car in HI.
- Take photos of the car’s exterior and interior to document its appearance. If you notice any damage upon taking delivery of the car, you can use these pictures to prove the condition of your car before it was shipped.
- Pull out all your documents from the glove compartment. This way, they won’t be lost during shipping.
- Take care of any auto repairs. Your car needs to be in working order to avoid incurring any fees for a non-running vehicle. Also, take your car to an auto shop for basic maintenance services, including getting the engine tuned up, changing the oil, and checking the tire pressure.
- Fill up half your gas tank. It is not a clever idea to ship your car with a full tank, as it will add unnecessary weight. However, you need to have some fuel because the truck driver will need to drive it on and off the carrier.
- Remove anything on the outside, such as a bike rack. Loose items could fall off during shipping and get lost or damaged.
- Make sure there is nothing loose in the trunk or interior. Things could roll or toss around during transport causing damage to the items or the car.
- Remove any personal electronic devices or other possessions from the car, such as a baby car seat or rear-view hanging accessories, because these could get damaged or lost during shipping.
That’s it! By following these simple steps, you can be sure that your car will be ready for its journey.
With this information, you can plan your move or vacation with confidence. After you pick a reputable shipping company for Hawaii car shipping, plan your pickup and delivery dates well in advance to avoid delays. You’ll have your car in Hawaii in no time if you prepare a little.
Next, we’ll discuss some FAQs our customers ask about shipping a car to HI.
Cost to ship car to Hawaii?
Car shipping to Hawaii when all shipping fees and taxes are included from California to Hawaii is about $1,500.
How much to ship a car to Hawaii?
Besides a trip from California to Hawaii, car shipping to Hawaii is also possible from Washington State for $1, 110. This price usually includes all taxes and fees. Although sailing from California is more frequent, shipping times from Seattle are similar, because fewer vehicles ship from that city.
How much is it to ship a car to Hawaii?
Car shipping to Hawaii depends on which port you’re shipping from. From California, you’ll pay around $1,500, and from Washington, you’ll pay around $1,100.
How much to ship car to Hawaii?
In previous questions, we have discussed car shipping to HI from port cities like California and Washington. There are, however, other possible routes for Hawaii auto shipping.
Many factors determine the discrepancy in prices: the cost of land transport to a shipping port, the congestion at a port, and the length of the entire shipping route. Pricing also depends on which Hawaiian destination port. Your car could be sent to Honolulu, Hilo, Nawiliwili, or Kahului.
With that in mind, here are some ballpark figures for car shipping to Hawaii from different destinations of origin:
- The cost to ship car to HI, from Miami, Florida, is about $2,475.
- The cost to ship car to HI from Houston, Texas, is about $2,000.
- The cost to ship car to HI from Denver, Colorado is about $2,000.
- The cost to ship car to HI from North Carolina is about $2,250.
- The cost to ship car to HI from New Jersey is about $2,300.
- The cost to ship car to HI from New York is about $2,500.
Although there may be some discrepancies between these prices and shipping car from Hawaii to mainland, they are not significantly different.
Can I ship a car to Hawaii?
Certainly. Car shipping to Hawaii is possible and can be reached from any state in the continental United States. Your car will be transported by road to the nearest port before being shipped to Hawaii.
How to ship a car to Hawaii
You will never have to worry about logistics when you hire a shipping company. All you have to do is find the right company to handle the details on car shipping to Hawaii for you.
We Will Transport: Your Solution for Shipping Car to Hawaii
We have been in business for over 25 years, which shows that we are not only resilient but our professionalism and quality of service have stood the test of time as well.
Our secret lies in our dedication to customer service. We aim to make your experience with us as pleasant as possible. Our team of transport and logistics professionals will always go the extra mile to ensure your satisfaction.